2015 changes to the Double Six
barry (Administrator) 05-01-2013 at 08:46 PM.
The 12W Double Six is the guitar amp that fits between the 5W N5X and 18W P1800. It was introduced several years ago, and the main aim is to provide more tone control for clean tones. When I designed it, I always had in mind that it would come with a large chassis and large turret board so that modifying it is easy to create other tones (see below).

At the time of writing - January 2015 - I have reintroduced the original Double Six. This has minimal changes from the original (just power supply components, nothing tonally different). You can order this version now, with amp kits starting to ship from 4th February 2015.
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Modifying the Double Six
As mentioned above, I am also using the Double Six as a modifiable platform for creating other circuits with different tones. The idea is that I had long ago planned for different tone circuits, etc, and there's space on the turret board for these.

So you can build the Double Six as standard first, get that working and then take it in another direction. The simplest is to try the Fender Blackface tone controls to get a Fender Blackface Champ tone (with a more effective Middle control, if you like). Or you can create a version of the N5X circuit with two octal power valves that work together (the N5X can use one power valve at a time).
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 01-16-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Learning about amp circuits
As a longer-term project, I will be using the Double Six chassis, power transformer and output transformer as the foundation to make an amp building course. The idea is to use these basic building blocks to start from a very simple amplifier circuit, look at each component in turn and see how it works with the rest of the circuit to create a working amplifier.

During this course, we'll be making some 'deliberate mistakes' to see why some ideas don't work. And as we go, we'll recreate some classic circuits, including the Tweed Princeton. The final part of the course will show how and why we create push-pull amplifiers, making a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe-style amplifier to illustrate the benefits. Rated at 12W, like the Double Six, the Tweed Deluxe is a great sounding amplifier and every guitarist should try one.

Note that this course will start in the second half of 2015.
- - Quote -