N5X amplifier builds
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 01:58 AM.
The N5X is one of the newer amplifier kits. Here are the first customer-built amps.
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Brad's two-tone N5X head

"Here are a couple of pics of the amp I previously bought off you (N5X). I am running the KT66 as the power valve - this makes a HUGE difference. Honestly, the natural gain and compression is, to my ear more of a SRV/Hendirx sound. I tested with EL84s (GT and JJ), 6L6 (GT and JJ) but settled now for the KT66.

"Note - this was my first foray into the world of tolex and amp building for that matter Smile

"Ta loads, this amp will now be replacing my Vintage Fender Delux I use in the studio. I can't wait to hear how good the 1800 is going to sound."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Phil's 'bookshelf' amp head

"Many thanks again for a great kit which I enjoyed building and is sounding great!

"I have attached a couple of pics. I’m not an expert at woodwork but I think the idea quite worked well. The case was made from two B&Q £4 value bookshelves with a perspex front window and a vintage handle from ebay."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Mike's ... sort of combo!

Something for the guitarist with everything, perhaps? Mike built his N5X into an old cocktail cabinet. Complete with a speaker cabinet in the lower compartment! Smile

"Here is the finished article. Now I know how it looks and sounds I will be looking for a decent piece of furniture to put the P1800 in. I distressed the Stones poster on the back to match the outside of the cab as it was tatty when I bought it."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Jean-Loup's retro N5X
Jean-Loup dispensed with the chassis and panels that came with his N5X amp kit and built the amplifier into an old radio set.

"I have finished an N5X amp with some minor mods. I added a rotary switch to choose on demand EL84 or 6L6GC. I fitted your toroid 20W transformer (for heater current and less hum).

"Take a look at the picture (reborn vintage radio), the sound is good even with the internal 8” Jensen 35W ( on a 12” cab it is very good)."

To see more of Jean-Loup's creations, visit: https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=1446807575565430

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Mark's N5X combo
Mark overcame the standard layout of the N5X (which is a chassis that would normally sit valves-upwards) for his combo, which was built into an old Trace Elliot cabinet.

"As promised, now I’ve finished all the cosmetics here’s a couple of pictures of my NX5. The cab is a bit old and battered, but I’m not much of a handyman at that sort of thing so I didn’t bother trying to recover it.

"You’ll see that I added a Fender-style indicator lamp (just for fun really) and the rear view shows quite nicely I where I fitted the second octal socket to allow for taller valves that otherwise wouldn’t clear the speaker cone. I also fitted Fender-style valve grips, mainly because if it is hanging loose the spring type tended to catch in the speaker when I was manipulating the amp in an out of the cabinet.

"All in all, mounting the amp upside down worked pretty well. Obviously I had to use the blank side of the control panel so I recreated the design in CorelDraw and used laser printed transfers. I was surprised how well that worked and a few coats of clear acrylic coating on top has given a reasonably robust finish that, although not as good as the proper printed side will certainly be good enough for normal use. The only real pain was the mini-toggles. Ideally I would have relocated them in the chassis so that they matched the pre-drilled holes in the front panel but that would have put them very tight against the main turret board, so I decided to leave them and drill new holes in the front panel. This does mean that the original holes are still there but you hardly notice them unless you’re pretty close up to the amp.

"And finally once again I must say how great the amp sounds and compliment you on the quality and thoroughness of your kits."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Dave's wooden wonder
I can't do woodwork for toffe, and I'm always jelous of those who can turn beautiful wood into great amp cabinets. This is a fine example, where the wood speaks for itself. Gorgeous! Smile

Dave also uploaded a video to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Y86KI83pU

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Hans' 1x12 combo

"My shiny new combo Smile All good. I'm running an Tungsol E34 and a Mullard
12AX7 into a G12H30. Tried a Sovtek EL84 from my Vox AC4TV and a JJ 6V6
S. All nice depending what you want. I could easily spend a week just
testing different tubes Smile I have attached a couple of pictures for your
website."        
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-17-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Lennart's big logo N5X

"Thanks for a wonderful kit. I completed the build last night and what a sweet sound!

"I changed the front panel a little bit…. I'm building my own head and cabinet. I'm pleased with the result and I enjoy the sound very much."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-14-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Dean's revamped stack
"I am attaching a picture of the mostly finished cabinet build (still waiting on a jack plate for the speaker cabinet back). Originally I built a head cabinet out of some maple and walnut I had in the garage and put a temporary speaker in a 5E3 cabinet prototype from my first build so I could at least play it (patience is not one of my virtues in the area of projects!

"I found it displeasing to my eyes that the speaker cab was a smaller width than the head so I decided to build another and do a 2 x 12 cabinet. Once I got the new speaker cabinet done I really liked the sound of the 2 12s and I played through the uncovered cabinet for a week or so. The decision on colors was hard but I kept coming back to the seafoam green and I am very pleased with the result, though my tolex skills still need some pratice and the piping work is deceptively hard to get good clean lines.

"I am so pleased with the sound and tone of the final product. My current favorite guitar is a parts-caster strat with a set of Fender Custom Shop 1969 pickups and the combination is stellar!"

- - Quote -