P1800 and PP-18 amplifiers
barry (Administrator) 05-09-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Scroll through this thread for ideas and inspiration on housing and covering your P1800 and PP-18.
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Chris' incredible combo

Chris had previously built an SE-5a and ordered a PP-18 amp kit. Where the SE-5a combo cab he made was conventional, the PP-18 combo cabinet is anything but. It's 100% retro styling in beautiful blonde wood looks like a fancy piece of furniture. For those guys whose other halves complain about having guitar amps in the living room, perhaps this is the perfect solution?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Adam's PP-18

Proof that a logo can really help to finish off an amp, here's Adam's PP-18 in head format. The gold contrasts superbly with the purple levant. If you want to add a logo to your amp, look for a local trophy engraving shop or a silk-screen print shop. Either should be able to turn your idea into a suitable screw-on plaque.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Giampaolo's PP-18

For his PP-18 build, Giampaolo opted for the 'classic' 18W combo cabinet, covered in beautiful natural white tolex. He also swapped the kit's black chickenhead knobs for cream-coloured versions to match. Like a lot of customers, he's also looking for a personalised logo: "I'm thinking of putting a logo plate like 'GiAmp' - playing with my first name... still searching for a plate maker that doesn't charge an arm and a leg."

"At yesterday's rehearsal, the amp behaved perfectly. Creamy tone and takes pedals without fuss. And LOUD, too. The other guitarist loved the tone."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Roberto's PP-18

Not all amps work first time - Roberto's cage-covered PP-18 needed some troubleshooting, due to hum. "I rewired the valve heater 'chain', the grounding and some of the output transformer wires and the hum just disappeared. I wanted to use it as a platform to tweak to my liking, but this thing sounds so good as is that I think I'm going to leave it this way."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Martin's PP-18

Like many customers wondering about the classic Dominator/18W circuit, Martin wasn't sure if he'd miss the Treble, Middle and Bass controls. "I tried it out last night and I am very pleased with the tone in particular. I was a bit concerned about the lack of individual bass/treble/mid adjustment, but it is all there in one control - excellent!"

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Keith's super-tidy PP-18

I like to see attention to detail, and this amp has it in abundance: the wiring layout is text-book and the cabinet finishing is just as good. Proof, if any were needed, that with care and time, even first time amp makers can create an amp that has the build standards of a boutique builder. "Just to let you know that I finished the amp and I'm very happy with the results. It sounds great. Both the clean and distortion sounds are very impressive and you get the best of both worlds. I'm running the amp through two Vintage 30s and there's loads of volume."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Kevin's aux-naturelle 18W combo

Who needs tolex? For his combo cab, Kevin cleaned up some old floorboards (!) and finished them natural. There's some great detailing - check out the shaped valve protector on the back panel and the personalised valance on the front. Great work!

As for the amp: "This 18W amp has utterly amazed me - I am using it instead of the Pro, even in reasonable size gigs, and it's cutting through great and sounding fantastic. When I think of all the money I have spent on overdrive pedals and 9V batteries over the years... now it's just a guitar and a lead."

UPDATE:
"Hope you are keeping well, just a quick note to say the amp now known as 'The Breadbin' is still going strong and sounding great. I've been doing lots of gigs with ex-Lizzy/Motorhead Brian Robertson and although more famous for his Marshall stacks, he loves the amp and uses it every time we play, just sticks a Vox wah and a cheap Marshall reverb pedal through it with his Les Paul and it sounds amazing.
I used the PP-18 at the Cambridge Rock Fest a couple of weeks ago and as always no comps on my playing but several about the amp."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Ian's PP-18s head + combo

You don't have to follow the Marshall style: for Ian's PP-18 amp build, he decided to use the same style as his studio's Mesa Boogie setup; a hardwood cabinet with wicker grille. Not content with that, Ian also used the PP-18 Basic Kit to convert an old Peavey combo into a true valve amp.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Breogan's 2x10 PP-18 combo

OK, I'll admit that the idea of red tolex made me wonder, but there's no doubting the drop-dead gorgeous result of Breo's choice. "I love the finish! It is kind of a retro-cool mix of colors, like a 50's Cadillac." The white piping along the back of the control panel is a great touch.

- - Quote -