Double Six amplifiers
barry (Administrator) 05-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Scroll through this thread for ideas and inspiration on housing and covering your Double Six.
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Rod Campbell's Double Six combo

A combination of classic Fender finishing ideas here: Rod's Double Six combo uses blonde tolex, silver and blue grille cloth and a leather handle. He's also used the same type of cream knobs you see on some early '60s Fender amps. Looks stunning and it's designed to make a two-amp switchable stack with an SE-5a amp in the same trim. Great work. Smile

Attached File(s) Image(s)

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Wim Mientjes Double Six head

Wim was the first customer to build the Double Six. "I've just finished the amp. Took me a while, waiting for the tolex to arrive. You are right with the boost, goes a lot louder! Now I'm just enjoying the amp. It goes from Fender clean to a really muffled (in a good way, I hope - Barry) jazz tone and brings out the best out of my guitars.
I hear certain sound differences which I never heard before, it's a real 'honest' amp.

"I finished the amp in purple tolex with a bit of (now rare) checkered Ampeg tolex I had from refurbishing my old J-12. Kind of modern meets old school."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Chris Reynolds' mini-Twin

"Just finished the amp kit build, it is truly a thing of beauty. Just got a cab to build now! It's going to be a 2x8 combo in the style of a Fender Twin, I'll send you pictures when it's complete."

Chris completed the amp and also sent some cabinet construction photos that might be useful for reference. Thanks! Smile

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-17-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Ben's Double Six stack

Ben sent this cool and moody B+W shot of his Double Six amp with semi-acoustic and Big Muff. The amp and speaker cabinet are covered in a red (courtesy of Ben's mum -"without whom I would have never got the vinyl right").

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 05-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Andy Mazur's Double Six

Andy has built several Amp Maker kits and he was the beta tester for the Double Six. So his amp was the first Double Six born. Classic looks and nicely set off with Andy's Maztone logo.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-12-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Paul Rees' Double Six combo

Paul's amp looks absolutely fantastic. Look closely and you can see the amount of work that's gone into the details. What I'm especially impressed with is the fit of the control cut-out around the white border of the Double Six's control panel.

"The cabinet is currently a 1x12. It currently has an Eminence Swamp Thang. The speaker driver is not exactly overworked, but it has a very nice voice with the amp. I sized the cabinet to (just) be able to enclose 2x10 speaker drivers, should I feel the need in future. The amp has been in regular use since some time in March. A great little amp."

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 10-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Chals Bestron's Double Six head

"The Double Six is SIMPLY AMAZING. What a sound!!! Amazing with a Strat/Tele, breaks up nicely and the boost switch is killer. You can get a thick natural overdrive with a strat in the 1W setting and the Boost engaged, volume all the way up, perfect for recording at home. Enough power for a small gig, very responsive EQ and the Fat switch is perfect to juice up your solos. Humbuckers can get quite aggressive, you get a rounder and meaner sound. Switch the Boost off and you're in for some skronky jazz/country/blues. I absolutely luuurve 6V6s..."

Chals has tweaked his Double Six quite a bit, in a mainly vintage Fender direction, including cloth wire, Orange Drop signal caps ("big.... but I only had 600V!"), and carbon comp resistors. "Cabinet is made by Chris in red levant and oxblood grille." Nicely set off by the use of Fender-style knobs on the front, too.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 10-25-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Peter Hassmann's rustic combo

Nice to see an original take on combo construction; here's what looks like a pine cabinet, knots and all. Note that around the back, Peter has let the shape of the back panels follow the curved grain in the wood. At the front, the grille cloth is suspended by its own batten. Very unusual! Smile

"It's working! I will ask a good guitarist to play some samples and I will send it to you, because I think it has a great tone!"

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 06-14-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Graham's green combo
"Here's a couple of pix of the amp in it's case. I would like to put the logo to the left of the panel when we get round to making it. Probably acrylic sprayed resin out of a CNC-cut mould.

"The covering is green tolex as opposed to the faux leather that was previously on the cabinet. The speaker is Eminence Cannabis Rex with a Tayden diffuser. Thanks Barry - great job!"

- - Quote -