5 - Playing the NoSo One
barry (Administrator) 11-24-2015 at 06:28 AM.
With your amp circuit completed (see Step 4) fit the 9V PP3 battery into the clip. The LED will not light up at this point - this is normal. (In common with the wiring of battery-powered effects pedals, the power to the NoSo One circuit is not supplied until you plug in a guitar.)

So, now plug your guitar into the input socket, and you will notice the LED light up. If not, recheck the LED's orientation and your connections.

With the LED shining, play your guitar and you should hear the amplifier's output from the speaker. With the Basic version, the small speaker's volume is relatively low; with the Plus version's bigger and more efficient speaker, there should be quite some output. (The volume of both versions is considerably louder and the tone more focused when you have put the speaker into an enclosure.)

The NoSo One Basic is such a simple circuit that there are no controls, so use your guitar's Volume and Tone pots to control the output level and brightness.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 11-24-2015 at 06:43 AM.
The one-wire Boost modification
One of the cool features of the LM386 chip is that the designers weren't too concerned with providing hi-fi sound quality. So you will find that the NoSo One gets a bit dirty, distorting if you have high-output pickups and play very hard.

But with one simple modification, you can get way more distortion from your amplifier. You don't even have to turn your NoSo One off. Just take a short piece of wire and make a connection between pin 1 and pin 8 of the LM386 chip. (I've shown it with purple here, but it doesn't matter what colour wire you ise.)

Now the NoSo One has a lot more attitude, with plenty of crunch and significantly more volume. Once again, the room volume will depend on the speaker you have chosen. The bigger speaker with the NoSo One Plus is loud enough to attract the attention of housemates! Smile
- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 11-24-2015 at 07:01 AM.
What next for the NoSo One Basic?
If you've bought the Basic version of the NoSo One, you can now decide how to house your amplifier. As mentioned before, the speaker sounds louder and better in an enclosure. Here's my own version, housed in the cardboard box (yes, the same one used to ship the kit!). It's covered with a 'tweed-style' paper and with a clear perspex speaker grille.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 11-28-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Share your success
You can use almost anything to house the kit. The only small complication is mounting your speaker. The NoSo One Plus comes with a speaker which has three M4 mounting holes (and includes the hardware to fit it), whereas the Basic version comes with a smaller speaker that must be glued to the box.

For this smaller speaker, you can use a hot glue gun if you have one available. But as a low-cost experiment, for the tweed-style amp shown here, I tried out a gluestick, applying it (CAREFULLY!) to just the outer rim of the speaker surround - shown with the dotted line - and also to the inside of the cardboard box.

- - Quote -
barry (Administrator) 12-07-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Share your success
Make sure to let me know what you come up with! I'd love to see as many strange and innovative examples for the Customer Amp Gallery as possible. Smile
- - Quote -